Driving Conduct For Larger Vehicles

If you are applying for or currently hold a large goods vehicle (LGV) driving licence or a passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) driving licence you will have to meet a high standard of driving conduct.


The Traffic Commissioner appointed for the area in which the driver resides, deals with the conduct of all large goods vehicle drivers and passenger carrying drivers. Any decision ie refusal, revocation or suspension of a driver's entitlement taken by a Traffic Commissioner is binding by the Secretary of State. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will then act on the Traffic Commissioner's decision.


When applying for a licence, you must tell the DVLA if, within the last four years, you have any convictions for breaking rules about:

  • driver's hours
  • driver's records
  • the road worthiness of your vehicle
  • overloading of the vehicle

You do not need to tell DVLA about any convictions for the above if they were more than four years ago.


Non driving conduct - drivers of PCV vehicles

In addition, if you are applying for a PCV licence for a minibus or bus, you must tell DVLA about any other court convictions you have had - even if they are not to do with driving, for example, sex offences. DVLA need to know about these unless they have run out under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.


If your conduct is not considered suitable you will be refused a licence. If you hold a licence and subsequently commit such offences you risk having your PCV licence revoked or suspended.


In all cases of conduct, the Traffic Commissioner for the area in which you live will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive large goods vehicles or passenger carrying vehicles. In doing so, the Traffic Commissioner will take into account all of the endorsements on your licence. They will not grant you entitlement if you are disqualified from driving. The DVLA will act on the Traffic Commissioner's decision.


To discuss your specific requirements and how Trans Consult Co UK can help you obtain your Driver CPC or request an application form, click here to submit an enquiry and select “Enquire about Driver CPC Training”.


Spent convictions

For further details on the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act leaflet ' Wiping the Slate Clean' is available free from :


The Home Office

2 Marsham Street




Further information

Information on speed limiters, tachograph rules and other driving conduct offences can be found on the Vehicle and Operator Service Agency (VOSA) website on the link below.

To discuss your specific Driver CPC Training requirements or request your FREE list of Acredited Driver Training Centres, click here to submit an enquiry and select “FREE list of Accredited Driver Training Centres”.